The UL 94 tests are conducted on plastic materials to measure flammability characteristics, giving a preliminary indication of their suitability for a particular application.
FTT provides the complete solution for reliable testing for all UL 94 classifications in a robust, easy to use instrument. The tests determine 12 flame classifications of materials for specific applications:
- Six of the classifications relate to materials commonly used in manufacturing enclosures, structural parts and insulators found in consumer electronic products (5VA, 5VB, V0, V1, V2, HB).
- Three of the remaining six classifications relate to low density foam materials commonly used in fabricating speaker grills and sound deadening material (HBF, HF1 and HF2).
- The last three classifications are assigned to very thin films, generally not capable of supporting themselves in a horizontal position (VTM0, VTM1, and VTM2). These are usually assigned to substrates on flexible printed circuit boards.
These tests determine the material’s tendency either to extinguish or to spread the flame once the specimen has been ignited.
FTT UL94 Test Apparatus
The apparatus is supplied as a complete system incorporating all the features necessary for ease of use and safety.
It conforms to all five UL 94 horizontal and vertical Bunsen burner tests and associated international standards. These are:
- Horizontal Burning Test; UL 94 HB (ASTM D635, IEC 606951110, IEC 60707, ISO 1210).
- Vertical Burning Test: UL 94 V0, V1, or V2 (ASTM D3801, IEC 606951110, IEC 60707, ISO 1210).
- 500W (125mm) Vertical Burning Test: 5VA or 5VB (ASTM D5048, IEC 606951120, IEC 60707, ISO 9772).
- Thin Material Vertical Burning Test: VTM0, VTM1, or VTM2 (ASTM D4804, ISO 9773).
- Horizontal Burning Foamed Material Test: HBF, HF1 or HF2 (ASTM D4986, ISO 9772).
- Burners (ASTM D5025, ASTM D5207, ISO 10093, ISO 10351)
Features and Benefits
- A bench mounted draft free combustion chamber with a large inside volume of 1.0m3 and exhaust fan to enable simple evacuation of combustion products.
- Large sliding window made from heat resistant ceramic glass giving a generous view of the specimen during a test. An interior light is also fitted.
- Specimen holders
- Fully adjustable horizontal and vertical specimen supports.
- A burner in compliance with ASTM D5025, with simple angle adjustment (0°, 20°, 45°) and precision gas control system including gas flow meters, pressure regulator and pressure gauge (manometer).
- Two access ports enabling easy entry to the chamber for movement of the burner and specimen.
- A burner wing tip.
- Three digital test duration timers for accurate but simplified operation with remote handset.